Dionne M. Aleman, PhD, PEng
University of Toronto
- Associate professor, Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering
- Other appointments:
- Institute of Health Policy, Management and Evaluation, University of Toronto
- Techna Institute (Guided Therapeutics Core), University Health Network
- Director, Medical Operations Research Laboratory (morLAB)
- Coordinator, Centre for Operational & Performance Excellence (COPE), U of T Institute for Multidisciplinary Design & Innovation (UT-IMDI)
- Faculty affiliate, Centre for Research in Healthcare Engineering
Mechanical Engineering Building
5 King's College Road
Toronto, ON M5S 3G8
|phone||(416) 978 6780|
|fax||(416) 978 7753|
Dionne Aleman is an Associate Professor in the Department of Mechanical & Industrial Engineering at the University of Toronto. She received her PhD in Industrial and Systems Engineering from the University of Florida (2007), MSc from the University of Florida (2006), and BSc from the University of Florida (2003).
Dr. Aleman's research interests are in the application of operations research to medical and healthcare systems. This research includes using mathematical optimization models to design radiation therapy treatment plans, using agent-based simulation to predict the spread of a pandemic disease in an urban population, using graph theory to determine vaccination priorities during a pandemic, and using optimization and simulation to improve hospital surgical scheduling. Dr. Aleman has held grants from NSERC, CFI, ORF, and NSF for her research. Within the Canadian Operational Research Society (CORS), she is the Secretary of CORS Council and the Secretary of the Health Care Operations Research Special Interest Group. Within the Institute for Operations Research and Management Science (INFORMS), she is the President of the Public Sector OR Section (formerly the Section on Public Programs, Services and Needs), and she is a past Chair of the Health Applications Society (HAS) and past President of the Junior Faculty Interest Group (JFIG). Dr. Aleman is also a Topical Editor for the Wiley Encyclopedia of Operations Research and Management Science, Associate Editor for IIE Transactions on Healthcare Systems Engineering, Associate Editor for the International Journal of Biomedical Data Mining, and Editorial Board Member of Operations Research in Health Care.